A thorough examination of the mattress is very important to determine whether you have been infested by bed bugs or not. Bed bugs can be found in very small places but they normally hide near the piping, seams and tags of the mattress and box spring, and in cracks on the bed frame and headboard.
Bed bugs are incredibly small so move slowly while checking your mattress so you do not miss any sign of infestation. Keep in mind that the infestation normally starts around the mattress. Items far from the sleeping area will be at low risk of infection.
So, if you suspect that you may have bed bugs follow these easy steps to check your mattress;
- Use a magnifying glass and a powerful flashlight to make the inspection easier and search for;
- Blood stains on your sheets or pillowcases.
- Dark or rusty spots of bed bug exrement on sheets and mattressess, bed clothes and walls.
- Bebug fecal spots, egg shells, or shed skins in areas where bedbugs hide.
- An offensive, musty odor from the bugs’ scent glands.
And always remember: Bed bugs are everywhere!!!!, it doesn’t matter if you go on holidays and stay in a 5* hotel or in a hostel, if you live in a rich or poor area…. Anybody can be infested by bed bugs.
And if you are infested, do not worry;